The Root Lock, known as the Mul Bandh in Kundalini Yoga and Mulabandha in Ashtanga Yoga, is the lock of the first root, or chakra. It is very similar to a pelvic floor exercise.
The Kundalini method to performing Root Lock is as follows:
- Sit in a comfortable, cross-legged position.
- Inhale as deeply as possible, lifting your chest but keeping yours shoulders relaxed away from your ears.
- Exhale, releasing your breath fully while keeping your chest lifted.
- With your body empty of breath, contract the muscles of your rectum, sex organ (vagina in women, penis in men), and navel point (at your belly button). Pull your navel in and up. Hold.
- Inhale. Relax the contraction.
- Repeat, practicing for several minutes.